Monday, January 9, 2012

Late Night Pick of the Night: Surfer Blood, Van Halen tour dates

Tonight on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (I double checked my Jimmy tonight) check out indie-pop-rock band Surfer Blood, along with Napoleon Dynamite (the new animated series starts Sunday night on Fox, hope it's good).  Late Night is, as always, on at 12:35 on NBC.

Van Halen came out with their tour dates on Friday last week and I was less than excited.  First, the closest show, which is in DC on 3/28, is on a Weds. night, which means taking a half-day to a full-day off of work. Second, is the odd price structure of either $40 seats or $170 seats. I can't find anything that tells me what sections the prices correspond to, but I'm guessing the $40 seats will be third level. I don't want to sit in the third level and I'm not going to pay $170 to see anyone. If I can see during the pre-sale that there are some first level or second level $40 seats that aren't behind the stage, I might be willing to try for those.

Depending on how many $40 seats there are, VH may see a lot of "donut" shows. Hardcore fans down front who are willing to pay $170. A bunch of empty $170 seats, then the $40 seats sold out.  It will also be interesting to see if scalpers pick up a bunch of the $170 seats and then have to dump them at less than face value.  It just seems odd that the band is trying to get that much for tix when the economy is still bad.

It's too bad, because they apparently played a hell of a show to announce the tour last Thursday at Cafe Wha? in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment