Friday, May 23, 2008

Review of Eagles concert in Charlottesville

I was unable to attend the Eagles concert in C'ville, primarily because I didn't want to spend $125 to see them. But Chris P. and Joe L. went and they provide this review. My comments are in [italisized brackets].

Chris P.: "Tony....here's my review on the EAGLES man.....AWESOME concert....great acoustics, the sound overall was superb. We were center stage on the floor, and you talk about old timers....even on the floor they sat down quick. We got a little Don solo action with "boys of summer" with all the band playing, which surprised me, because they have enough music as The Eagles to play for 5 or 6 hours easily.

Just thought I'd give you a little info...I know you have many other places but from a guy there, grew up listening to this group, what a privilege it was to be able to see this band play again after possibly not ever getting back together again....I'd pay to see this one AGAIN."

Joe L.: "I agree 100%.

No Opening Act and this band played for almost three hours!

First... I have two words to say about Don Henley...... "Joe F***ing Walsh." I'm quoting Dennis Leary there.... but damn, Joe Walsh is amazing.

First, I'm glad I finally got to see Hotel California performed lived.
Second... I have to study the band a little bit. I don't know which songs are band songs and which songs are individual songs. Example... I know that Dirty Laundry is Don Henley's song and not the Eagles.. but I really like that song (amazing lyrics, great message, really good instrumentation, etc). But what about "My Maserati goes one eighty five..." Is that a Joe Walsh song or an Eagles song? [Joe Walsh solo, "Life's Been Good", 1978] In any event, they have an extensive catalog to fill the set list. And I like that.. I like the variety.

Third... this band has a pretty deep bench... Don Henley sings, Joe Walsh sings, Glenn Frey sings, that other guy sings... LOL (sorry other guy, but you did do a great job on Peaceful, easy feeling).

And I would pay to see this band again. Even with tickets costing as much as they did. In fact, I would probably pay more just to try to sit in the front row.

Awesome Show!!!"

Chris P.: "The other guy is Timothy B. Schmidt....he sings "I can't tell you why" and the one off of Hell freezes over album, "Love will Keep us Alive" he sang those really well also.....Yeah Joe, what can you say...Helmet CAM..."

As a bonus here are two cool videos from 80s era Glenn Frey. "The Heat Is On" from "Beverly Hills Cop". I think I have this single. And a great mini-movie video, "Smuggler's Blues".

And from eaglesfans.typepad.com, the setlist:
1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
4. Guilty Of The Crime
5. Hotel California
6. Peaceful Easy Feeling
7. I Can't Tell You Why
8. Witchy Woman
9. Lyin' Eyes
10. Boys Of Summer
11. In The City
12. Long Run
Intermission
13. No More Walks In The Wood
14. Waiting In The Weeds
15. No More Cloudy Days
16. Love Will Keep Us Alive
17. Take It To The Limit
18. Long Road Out Of Eden
19. Somebody
20. Walk Away
21. One Of These Nights
22. Life's Been Good
23. Dirty Laundry
24. Funk #49
25. Heartache Tonight
26. Life In The Fast Lane
Encore
27. Take it Easy
28. Desperado

1 comment:

  1. My Wife, Son (11) and I were in the nosebleeds... but totally agree with the review...Awesome show...these guys still have voices that blend so well and were on all night. I was glad they did some of the solo tunes especially some of Joe's classics (Walk Away, Life's Been Good, Funk #49) The band was tight and the dude playing lead (sorry dude playing lead, didn't catch your name, but he's from VA) has the classic solo's down pat. We had a great time and having seen well over 100 concerts (yes I'm probably one of the thousands of geezers that were there (The 'Kids' can't afford these tix)) this has to be in my top 10 maybe even top 5 (many of them were Dead shows I don't remember except for the bootleg tapes). If you get the chance to see this tour, do it... it's worth the big bucks.

    ReplyDelete