Friday, May 16, 2008

Carbon Leaf, N MS Allstars, Erykah Badu, Roots, and great food!

Another good weekend for music.

I was planning on going to see Carbon Leaf at Friday Cheers tonight. But surprise, surprise, its going to be raining on a weekend. Since my wife and I were going to bring the kids, we won't be going because we don't want to drag them out in the rain. If you don't have a three year old and an 8 month old and you want to brave the rain, the show is free and will start at 6:30. Moossa will be opening. If they cancel it, I have no way to tell you how to find out. Perhaps they would say on one of the sponsoring radio stations. But there is no hotline to call or web site to check.

The show at Toad's Place tonight with The Swell Season (the duo from the movie "Once") is sold out. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've heard some stuff by them and its pretty good. They do a great version of Van Morrison's "Tupelo Honey" too.

The Capital Ale House Downtown has the Jesse Chong Band tonight. Doors are at 9 and tix are $7. Here's what the Capital Ale House says about them: "The alternative folk styling’s of Jesse Chong are imbued with such hook one wonders how the music keeps from totally assimilating its listeners and forming a worldwide cult of Jesse Chong followers. Not that that would be such a bad thing. His music carries a bit of wry humor, a touch of the southwest and not a little melancholy. It touches gently on a variety of human emotions and eases the listener into a world of beauty and life."

Saturday night at The National is excellent blues band North Mississippi Allstars with Alvin Youngblood Hart opening. Doors at 8, show at 9, tix are $20.

On Sunday night, two of the top alternative hip-hop/soul acts team up for a show at the Landmark, Erykah Badu with The Roots. Show starts at 7 PM and tix are $40-48. Check out this way cool video of Erykah's new song, Honey. See how many classic R&B/soul album covers you can recognize.

In non-music events, there is the Lebanese Food Festival out in Glen Allen at St. Anthony’s Maronite Catholic Church, 4611 Sadler Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060. That runs Friday, May 16 and Saturday, May 17, 10 AM to 10 PM and Sunday, May 18, 2008, 10 AM to 8:00 PM.

There is also Broad Appetit, featuring the best chefs in Richmond, food (obviously), drink (beer & wine), music, etc. This event is on Broad St. in downtown Richmond between Adams & Monroe. The event takes place on Sunday from noon - 5 PM. There will be stuff for the kids too.

Hope to hit at least one of those events, weather permitting, with the kids and eat some great food.

I gotta get to work. Had to do this here because my computer is about to die at home. Its buzzing with a horribly loud noise in the hard drive. I spend an hour and a half last night backing up files onto a flash drive and paying bills and when I got done, my whole body was buzzing and I felt like I had undergone some weird torture. Actually, felt a little sick to my stomach because of it. Anyway, I'm out.

Have a great weekend!

Tony Jordan

2 comments:

  1. Cool to know that you were planning on taking your kids to Friday Cheers too! I was planning on doing the same but will probably bail because of the questionable weather. I've had a few people suggest to me that Friday Cheers is family-friendly so we'll try to catch the next one, weather permitting.

    Thx for the excellent info. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kory, Cheers is absolutely family friendly. There are usually quite a few kids there and even though they serve beer, I have never seen anyone falling down drunk, fights, or aggressive behaviour of any kind. Oh well, maybe the weather will be better next week for Sam Bush.

    ReplyDelete