Friday, April 23, 2010

Adult Alternative radio station now in Richmond?

103.7 FM has changed format, calling themselves 103.7 The River. It appears they are now an adult alternative station of some sort. As I am listening now, they are playing Modest Mouse's "Float On", then Sister Hazel, "Hard to Say". We'll see how "alternative" they get, but at least its a step in the right direction.

The ad on sister station Y101's site says: "There's a new station in town... 103.7 The River is now Richmond's Best Alternative ! Never less than 52 minutes of music every hour and no talking over your favorite music.

This is a new kind of station, designed specifically for Richmond, and staying true to the music with artists like Radiohead, The Cure, Foo Fighters, U2, Bob Marley, Kings of Leon, Dave Matthews Band, U2, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and too many more to name here."

If this is a true adult alternative station, its about time Richmond got one. Now all we need is a good Americana station.

UPDATE: 3:12 PM: OK, I've been listening for 15 minutes now and haven't heard anything newer than the Modest Mouse tune and now they are playing Avril Lavigne. I don't know what format they are but they definitely aren't adult alternative. There doesn't appear to be much alternative here. Can someone in Richmond please give me a radio station to run? I'll make it a real adult alternative with a heavy Americana quota. I think we could have fun and make some money.

6 comments:

  1. I listened for about 20 minutes and everything I heard was the same stuff Mix 103.7 played minus the Natalie Merchant. How is this different from Y101, which was supposed to be an alternative station?

    I'll just stick to my iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richmond Playlist, I totally agree. I listened for a while longer and didn't hear much difference from when they were Mix103.7. I guess the only thing changed was their marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WRIR is way better and more alternative than any commercial station. And on Tuesdays from 7-9 PM they have the Edge of Americana show. Not a station per se, but at least it's being played once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like RIR when they play music and when I can get reception. Unfortunately, at the times I listen to music, during the workday, RIR has news on and most of the time I can't get reception anyway. I did move my office across the hall at work recently and can now get U of R's station well, so I've been listening to that a lot. They have some good dj's on that station in between the frat boys who want to talk about last weekend's party for 15 minutes between songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone there has a thing for REM because that is all I hear every time I turn on this station. And it is every day. Play something else already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do play something else because I seem to hear the Cure every time I listen. so they play REM and The Cure.
    What strikes me is that they are playing music that was made up unitl about 5 years ago. Why not play some new music then? Is there a big demographic out there who decided that 5 years ago they would stop listening to new music?

    ReplyDelete