Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Joe Bonamassa, Zoso, Sheryl Crow, Broken Social Scene

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend. We spent two great days at the Folk Fest enjoying the music, the kids and the beautiful weather.

Wednesday night at The National, blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa plays. Doors at 7, show at 8 and tix are $30. I saw Joe when he was 15 or 16 and playing in a band called Bloodline with Berry Oakley Jr. (son of the Allman Brothers bassist), Robbie Krieger's (guitarist for the Doors) son Waylon, and Miles Davis' son Erin. I remember thinking then that he was technically very good but seemed to be more interested in soloing than playing as a member of the band. However, that was 16 years ago and all the reviews indicate that he has matured into an excellent blues player. He should definitely be worth checking out.

Since it doesn't look like the Led Zeppelin reunion will be happening any time soon, if at all, you might want to see Zoso, the Led Zep tribute band. They'll be at the National on Friday night. Doors open at 7, show is at 8, tix are only $12. I am somewhat ambivalent about an actual Zep reunion. While I have no doubt they would be excellent (I saw Page/Plant and liked it so much I went back the next night), I just think the tour would be so huge, with so much hype that tix would be so expensive, certainly more than I would be willing to spend and then I would just be bummed that I couldn't see them.

Sheryl Crow comes to the VCU Siegel Center on Saturday night. The show starts at 8 PM and tickets run from $35 to $125. You may think that a bit pricey but this is a benefit show for the Genworth Children's Advantage Classic. All proceeds benefit the following local youth charities: Big Brothers Big Sisters, Boys & Girls Club of Metro Richmond, Communities In Schools, FRIENDS Association for Children, Richmond Ballet - Minds In Motion, VirginiaFIRST, and the William Byrd Community House. My friend, Mike, has scored VIP tix and may meet Sheryl. I told him to give her my number in case she wants to hang out after the show. Mike, I will have my cell phone ready.

P.S. - Did you know that Lite 98 cuts out the line "I like a good beer buzz early in the morning" when they play Sheryl Crow's first hit, "All I Wanna Do"? Lite 98 sucks.

Broken Social Scene play at Toad's Place on Tuesday night (10/21). Doors open at 8 and tix are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. Here's what the Toad's site says about them: "If there’s ever been a definition of what a supergroup is, Broken Social Scene surely fits the bill. The 15+ members credited in the band also contribute to numerous other successful bands or solo projects, including: Fiest, Metric, Apostle of Hustle, Do Make Say Think, Jason Collett, American Analog Set, and Stars, just to name a few. BSS is well known for an almost chaotic composition of music influenced by the eclectic backgrounds of the musicians, but to most the soundscape they create is nothing short of masterful, beautiful, and fun."

Time for another segment in my "Tony Remembers the Philadelphia Spectrum" series. Friday, September 14, 1984, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band on the Born In The USA tour. (Tickets were just $16!) I went with my parents and my friend, Dave. We had seats on the side/rear of the stage in the second level. I got into Bruce about a year earlier, a short while prior to the release of Born In The USA. The first thing that struck me about the show was the length of the show. I remember the first set being over and already feeling I had got my money's worth (er, well, my parent's money's worth). The other thing that struck me was the connection Bruce and the band had with the fans. This was unlike anything I had seen in my previous shows. People on their feet almost the whole show, singing along and Bruce and the band pushing everything up, up, up, up. I got my own little taste late in the second set during Jungleland.

My friend, Dave, & I, went to the bottom of the second level and sat along the rail for most of the second set. This being a looser time, security didn't care as long as we weren't in the aisle. Bruce would roam all around the stage as he still does and during Clarence's sax solo, he walked around the back of the stage, getting the crowd to pump their fists with the beat. He walked right over to the corner Dave & I were hanging from and I think he looked right up at us and made that connection, even in a room full of 18,000 people. I became a Bruce fan forever on that night. I remember leaving The Spectrum at about 12:30 AM, elated and exhausted. That has since been the feeling I look for in all great Bruce shows and all great shows in general.

Here's the setlist. I've got this show on CD and the show is as great as the setlist looks:
BORN IN THE USA / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / OUT IN THE STREET / ATLANTIC CITY / OPEN ALL NIGHT / MY FATHERS HOUSE / I'M GOING DOWN / DARLINGTON COUNTY / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / POINT BLANK / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / HUNGRY HEART / DANCING IN THE DARK / CADILLAC RANCH / 10TH AVENUE FREEZE OUT / NO SURRENDER / I'M ON FIRE / COVER ME / GROWIN' UP / BOBBY JEAN / RACING IN THE STREET / ROSALITA / JERSEY GIRL / JUNGLELAND / BORN TO RUN / DETROIT MEDLEY / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME
Audience tape - features Miami Horns on 10th Ave, and the last two encores.

Have a great weekend!

Tony Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment