Thursday, October 6, 2016

Weekend Picks: Richmond Folk Festival, Lucy Dacus, Tea Leaf Green, Jackass Flats, Life on Mars

I'm afraid this blog will not be up to my usual standards. I am not feeling well tonight and need to get some rest for the big weekend ahead. Why is it a big weekend?

Folk Fest! Folk Fest! Folk Fest! It's the Richmond Folk Fest this weekend. It's your chance to see music from all around the world for FREE! It goes down in the Brown's Island/Tredegar Iron Works area Friday (6:30 PM - 10 PM), Saturday (noon to 10 PM) and Sunday (noon to 6 PM). This will be held rain or shine so bring your rain gear Friday and Saturday. Most of the stages are under tents so you'll only need to be out in the rain going from stage to stage or if you go to the Altria Stage. If you come down Friday, stop by and say hello to me as I'll be helping out backstage at the WestRock Foundation Stage. Saturday, I'll be hanging out at the Dominion Dance Pavilion from 6:15 to 10 for Gary U.S. Bonds (will Springsteen show up? Probably not, but we can dream.), L'Orchestra Afrisa International and Maceo Parker. Sunday, I'm just going to roam around and see what I can find. Other recommended acts from me are Beausoliel Trio (Cajun) and Gena Delafose and French Rockin' Boogie (zydeco) because I loves me some New Orleans music. And check out Style Weekly for some of the world music finds. And don't be afraid to follow your ears and see something you never would have thought of seeing. Some of the best acts I've found over the years have been surprises I stumbled upon. I'll leave you with video of Maceo Parker who pretty much invented funk saxophone playing. He was an integral part of James Brown's band from 1964 - 75. Then, he joined Parliament and their many off shoots from '76 - '85. And he played with this guy too. Here he is with Prince:



Now, we are going to dole out the rest of the weekend's shows fast and furious so I can get to bed.

RVA girl made good, Lucy Dacus, returns home for a show at The National Friday night. Tix are $13 advance, $16 day of show. Doors open at 7, show starts at 8 with openers My Darling Fury and Spooky Cool. Here's Lucy's "I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore":




David Bowie tribute band, Life on Mars, is at The Broadberry Friday night. Tix are $10 advance, $12 day of show. Doors open at 8, show starts at 9. Prabir will open the show. Here's Life on Mars in March at Strangeways performing one of my favorites, "Stay":




Saturday night at The Broadberry, it's a benefit for Carter Anderson, who you may have seen "dancing to the music, putting stages together, or in the streets picking up litter and doing recycling activities with his Save the Trash recycling bus all over RVA." He's also been homeless. You can read his full story on the event page.  Bluegrass band Jackass Flats and Moroccan band Jouwala Collective are throwing Carter a party to raise money to help him get a home. A suggested donation of $10 - $20 gets you in the door. Doors are at 8, show starts at 9. Here's Jackass Flats a few years ago:



Monday night, jam band Tea Leaf Green is at The Broadberry. Tix are $10 advance, $12 day of show. Doors open at 8, show starts at 9 with Atlas Road Crew. Here's Tea Leaf Green at Wakarusa Festival in 2010:



That'll do it. See you at Folk Fest! I'll leave you with the beautiful and talented Rhiannon Giddens on Austin City Limits:



Have a great weekend!

Tony Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment