Monday, March 5, 2012

Late Night Pick of the Night: Joe Louis Walker; Satisfaction review

Tonight's Late Night Pick of the Night is multiple Grammny & WC Handy Award bluesman Joe Louis Walker.  He'll be on Conan tonight at 11 PM on TBS.

For those of you wondering, the Satisfaction: Rolling Stones Tribute show on Thursday night at The Naional was pretty damn good.  They definitely had the chops, with highlights being "Can't You Hear My Knockin'", "Live With Me", and "Miss You".  "Mick" (who looked like a cross between Mick Jagger and Jeff Beck) and "Keith" had the looks down and the moves.  "Ron Wood" and "Bill Wyman" were great players but the wigs were distracting. I appreciated that the drummer didn't even bother to try to look like Charlie Wattts.  But during the show I was reminded that the Stones were one of the first real rock bands I loved, getting into them as I began listening to classic rock in 6th grade. I also enjoyed seeing the songs performed in the stripped down five-man band format, instead of the rather bloated live band that the Stones have become. Other than a few instances (the congas on "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" and some piano bits), the songs hold up just fine without the extra musicians and in many cases are more powerful.  And I had a good time dancing. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment