Thursday, December 8, 2011

Delbert McClinton, Ghost of Pop Fest, The Atkinsons, No BS! Brass Band, Gene Gene the Dancing Machine

We are easing toward the holidays or rushing depending on what you are doing at the moment.  Friday night, The Atkinsons will be at Poe's Pub.  Show starts at 9 and cover is $5.  I feel obligated to mention that because (1) The Atkinsons are a fine local Americana band and (2) I didn't contribute as much $ as I usually do to Poe's this NFL season.  Since I moved here in 2000, Poe's has been my place to go to see the Eagles when the game is not carried over our local airwaves.  We get enough Eagles games on TV that for the $25 it costs me in beer and food to go to Poe's for a game it still comes out cheaper than buying the NFL ticket on the satellite.  But the Eagles haven't been any good this year so I haven't had the urge to blow $25and a Sunday afternoon and have my blood pressure rise watching them suck mightily.  So Poe's, I'll be back next year.  In the meantime, go check out some music there.  Here's the Atkinsons performing "No Ordinary Home" at WRIR Studios in May:




Also on Friday night, No BS! Brass Band will be at Balliceaux.  It's free to get in and the show starts at 10:30.  Saw the band on the Richmond Flying Squirrels float during the Christmas Parade and even though we were all the way at the end of the parade, they were still rockin'.  Here is their latest video for "Dr. Wily" in which they keep Richmond safe from robots:



Blues man Delbert McClinton will be at The National on Saturday night.  Tix range from $20 (general admission) to $30 (reserved).  Door open at 7, show starts at 8 with opener Barrelhouse.  Had to use this clip only because I don't think Delbert will have the Solid Gold dancers with him on Saturday night.  Delbert seems slightly uncomfortable with the whole Solid Gold format.




Also on Saturday night, the Ghost of Pop Festival will go down at Gallery 5.  It's only $5 to get in, the show starts at 7:30 and you'll see Richmond bands My Old Ways, Young Adult Fiction, The Trillions, Goldrush, Kid Is Qual, and The Druthers.  For descriptions of the bands, check out Andrew Cothern's The Richmond Playlist blog on the River City Rapids site since that's where I found out about the show.

It's too early for Christmas music at least for me.  I can't start listening to that until about a week before Christmas or I'll get sooooo tired of it.  So let's have the only man cooler than Santa Claus...who's that?  Oh my God....can it be?    YES!  That must be Gene......Gene.....The Dancing Machine!!!



Have a great weekend!

Tony Jordan

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again Tony - we sure appreciate your support!!! -Jamie (The Atkinsons)

    ReplyDelete