Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tea Leaf Green, Last Waltz Ensemble, John Hammond

Everything is green! Covered in tree pollen! We had the windows open today in the house and I just had to clean the computer screen off because it had pollen all over it. The kids were bouncing a ball in the driveway this evening and puffs of pollen were erupting everytime the ball hit the driveway. I've been popping Sudafed like they were candy and the pharmicist thinks I'm cooking meth but my sinuses seem to be through the worst. Hopefully those of you who also have allergies are making it through too and maybe tonight's rain will wash some of it away.

Three shows on Friday night to choose from. I'll be attending Tea Leaf Green at The National, thanks to winning tix from The Weekly Rant. I may tell you about a few shows, but if you want to know everything that is going on in Richmond, check out the Weekly Rant. The Rant's editor, Jon Baliles, didn't ask me to say that in exchange for tix. I check out the Rant every week. Thanks, Jon.

Anyway, back to Tea Leaf Green. Tix are $15 in advance, $17 day of show. Doors open at 8, show starts at 9 with two openers, Silo Effect and Former Champions. Tea Leaf Green is a pretty straightforward blues/classic rock based jam band out of San Francisco in the tradition of the Grateful Dead, The Band, The Jayhawks, Widespread Panic, Blues Traveler, and Hot Tuna. Here's a little ditty called "Cops Took My Weed" from Louisville KY on 3/24/10:


Also on Friday night, the Last Waltz Ensemble will be at The Canal Club. Tix are $12 in advance, $15 at the door. Doors open at 8:30 and no opener is listed on the Canal Club site. As their name implies, the Last Waltz Ensemble play the music of The Band & Dylan. They have a rotating group of musicians in the band from some well established bands and you never know who may show up. Here they are playing "Up On Cripple Creek" in November 2009:


On Friday night at the Capital Ale House Downtown will be blues great John Hammond. The show starts at 9 PM with no opener and tix are $20 in advance, $25 at the door. John was a 2010 Grammy nominee for Best Traditional Blues Album for his album, "Rough & Tough" and his album "Wicked Grin" was named in Blues Revue magazine as one of "The Decade's Best Blues - 25 Great Albums That Defined the Past 10 Years" in their critics' poll. Here's John performing at Peter's Place in Ontario on March 25:


Saturday night, local Americana band, The Atkinsons, will play at Cafe Diem. I caught the tail end of their show at the Church Hill Irish Fest and they sounded great. Show starts at 10 PM with no cover charge. I would call Cafe Diem first because the show is listed on the Cafe Diem site but not The Atkinsons site so be sure before you head out.

More blues Wednesday night at the Canal Club. Local bluesman Terry Garland will team up with Lil' Ronnie to record a live CD and you can be a part of it. Doors open at 8 and tix are just $5. Here they are at The Playing Field here in Richmond on April Fool's Day this year:


I wanted to share this video of my son, Willie, with all of you. Just because I think "My poos is hot" could be the next big catchphrase. For instance, when you see something really cool, say "That poos is hot". Or if you want to brag about yourself: "I just completed a 1/2 marathon and then chugged a bag of Franzia wine. My poos is hot." Here you go:


I hope your poos is hot this weekend.

Tony Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment