Tuesday, May 12, 2009

ZZ Top, Brandi Carlile, Riverrock, Carbon Leaf

Thursday night, those good ol' boys from Texas come to town. ZZ Top plays Innsbrook with tix $20 in advance and $25 at the door. You may want to buy tickets now because Gold Circle is sold out and they aren't allowing any lawn chairs in General Admission which usually means they are expecting a big crowd. Gates open at 6 PM and River City Gang is opening.

I saw ZZ Top once and didn't have the best of times but it was more me than their show. I was still working for the radio station in Allentown and was with another dj accompanying our contest winners on a bus trip to Hersheypark. We had admission to the park and then tickets for ZZ Top's show at Hersheypark Arena. I don't know if it was riding roller coasters all day or the pitchers of beer I drank with my friend before the show, but I had a mean headache as the show started. The sound for the band was wayyy too loud. I like loud music but this was loud to the point of distortion and the bad acoustics in the decrepit arena (it opened in 1936) didn't help.

I do have a recent performance of ZZ Top's on a copy of the Eric Clapton Crossroads show I videotaped a few years ago and they are pretty damn good. I don't think you'll have sound problems at Innsbrook as the sound there is usually fine. Here's a video from their last tour, the classic "Got Me Under Pressure".




Also on Thursday night, fairly new (Carlile was named one of 2005's "Artists to Watch" by Rolling Stone) singer-songwriter and sometimes rocker Brandi Carlile comes to Groovin' In The Garden at Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens. Doors open at 5:30, show starts at 6 with opener The Noises 10. The rockin' will be done by Brandi acoustically as this show is billed as "An Intimate Acoustic Evening With Brandi Carlile". Tix are $20. You'll dig Brandi if you like Melissa Etheridge, KT Tunstall, Elton John, Patsy Cline, Jeff Buckley, Indigo Girls, Dave Matthews, or Shawn Colvin. Here's a link to Brandi performing her song "The Story" acoustic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y72jRaoRvHs.

Friday and Saturday Dominion Riverrock is at Brown's Island. This is an adventure sports/music/drinking combo event and is FREE. The music on Friday night is provided by Rusted Root at 7:15 with Jesse Chong opening at 6. (You can also see Jesse later that night at Capital Ale House Downtown.) Saturday they will have bands playing from 10 AM until 4 PM. They'll also have events on both days such as Ultimate Air Dogs (the dogs take a running jump off a dock into a pool chasing something thrown), Freestyle Bikes, 5K Mud Run, Rowing, Mountain Biking and more. I had also read something about a pub crawl but I can't find it on the web site.
I'll see you there Friday night and maybe Saturday, too. Friday night, my 4 year old is excited to see Rusted Root because he knows "Send Me On My Way" from Shrek 3 and the mix CD I made for him. I even told him he has to stay until the end of the show (he usually wants to leave early) because they won't play it until the end and he is willing to do that. Here is "Send Me On My Way":




Sunday afternoon, you can see Carbon Leaf for FREE in an in-store performance at Plan 9 in Carytown. They'll start at 3 but get there early unless you want to be back by the t-shirts. They'll probably play some old favorites and some stuff off of their new CD, "Nothing Rhymes With Woman".

I'll see you out at Brown's Island this weekend. I would go see Carbon Leaf too, but I'm going to the Phillies - Nationals game up in DC. Looking forward to checking out Nationals Park. GO PHILS!
Tony Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment