Friday, June 27, 2008

Spam, A Lot of Spam, Big Payback, Modest Mouse

Sorry again about the Bruce ticket price mix-up. I think I was thinking of U2 who made the GA tickets less expensive. Anyway, I'll still be trying to get Bruce GA tix today because despite the price, if I didn't get tix and I knew he was ten minutes away from my house, I'd be bummed about not being there.

Tonight at Brown's Island is the last Friday Cheers of the year. I didn't do so well with Cheers this year. There were 5 I wanted to see and I made one. Canceled on two because of weather (threat of thunderstorms, which never came, and severe heat, which would have been too much for the three year old) and the other two were canceled because of the shifting whims of the three-year old, who I had to take if I wanted to go, because of my other concerts this year. Hopefully, next year will be better.

Anyway, tonight's act is the Spam AllStars. Show starts at 6:30 and it is FREE. According to the Friday Cheers press release, "
DJ Le Spam and the Spam Allstars blend improvisational electronic elements and turntables with
Latin, funk, hip-hop and dub to create a sound that is unique — an electronic descarga." So there you go.

Speaking of Spam, I just saw that the Monty Python's Spamalot musical will be coming to the Landmark Theater for eight shows in November. I have heard nothing but good things about that show and as a big Holy Grail fan, that will be worth going to see.

James Brown tribute band, The Big Payback, play Toad's Place on Saturday night as a benefit for the Alumni Associations of VA Colleges. Doors open at 7:30 and the opener is the Steve Carter Connextion.

If you feel like heading out to C'ville on Sunday, Modest Mouse and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band will be playing at Charlottesville Pavilion. Since those two have collaborated on Modest Mouse's albums, I'm sure they'll play together. Show starts at 7 PM and tix are $35.

Have a great weekend!

Tony Jordan

5 comments:

  1. Just bought 4 Bruce GA tix. It was expensive enough to make you want to cry, which I will do when I see him for the second time in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jephy. I got through for 4 GAs also. Hopefully, he'll play "Kitty's Back" this time and make it all worthwhile for me. I will have my sign ready in the event I get into the pit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. his rendition of For You and Loose Ends live is incredible. The combo of meeting across the river and jungleland was a huge hit in charlottesville as well. I will say prayers for incident on 57th and the Rising.
    Just kidding on that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I caught the Dirty Dozen Brass Band & Modest Mouse here in Orlando on Tuesday. I also assumed they'd play together, but they did not.

    And I feel a little cheated because it was more like the Dirty Half-Dozen. They only had 7 guys out there. I'm joking of course. They still blew the house down. Not that you would know it from the crowd reaction. The crowd was polite, but pretty much stood still. If you can't groove to this band, maybe you're missing part of your soul.

    The crowd did pick up for Modest Mouse who at times had as many people on stage as the Dirty Half-Dozen. They had two drummers the entire time who were sometimes joined by a third. Then there were two multi-instrumentalists (is that a word?). And of course, there were lead singer Issac Brock and the Smiths' Johnny Marr.

    This lineup enables them to build a wall of sound that I liked, though our local rock critic felt there was a problem with the sound. Hard Rock Live isn't a great place for shows, it's likely I was just sitting in a better spot.

    I'm a fairly recent fan of theirs, but my wife goes back aways with them and she was pleased with the set list, which you can see here: http://tinyurl.com/4xqnfo

    I yelled for "How Soon Is Now?" during the encore because it's the only Smiths song I ever really liked. No one near me thought it was funny. Mouse-heads have no sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. for the sake of clarification on your history, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band is named after the Social and Pleasure Club that they got their start in and not the number of members in the band, which at it's peak, had 8 members (when they had the trad. snare and bass drummers and a second trumpet...now they have a trap kit drummer and have reduced the # by one ;) Enjoy

    ReplyDelete