Thursday, April 24, 2008

Lou, Bruce, Widespread, The B-52s and more!

I've been really lax lately about doing the blog. Been busy at work, busy at home, and the Flyers are in the playoffs which has taken up many an evening. They just suffered a devastating loss tonight in the first game of their series with Montreal but I'm moving on. Tomorrow is another day and game 2 is coming soon. I may start trying to do shorter blogs so I can keep more up to date. I know I've said that before, but this time I really mean it! No, really. Onto this week's shows.

Saturday night at The National is rock icon, Lou Reed. The show starts at 8 PM and tix are $40. Lou's live album, "Rock n' Roll Animal" was an early influence on me. I used to deliver newspapers when I was 12 and I got a Walkman. Well actually my mom got a Walkman and I just borrowed it all the time. At the time, I didn't have too many cassette tapes and radio on Sunday mornings, when I would be delivering the Sunday paper, was pretty boring because that was when the stations would play all their public service shows. I had read about Velvet Underground and Lou Reed in one of my rock music books and one of the few cassettes my mom had was "Rock n' Roll Animal". The album opens with an absolutely amazing intro featuring the guitar work of Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter into "Sweet Jane". The music soars and flies and as I would ride out on my bike on a sunny Sunday morning to pick up my papers, it always made me feel on top of the world and would get me going, even if I'd stayed up until three in the morning watching MTV, "Night Flight", or some cheesy horror flick on HBO.

Also on Saturday, Feist ("1, 2, 3, 4") is playing at Charlottesville Pavilion. Show starts at 7 and tix are $25.

On Saturday at Highwater Restaurant at Toad's Place is A New Dawn Fades. I'm not familiar with the band but they sound pretty interesting. Here is what Toad's writes: "This instrumental Richmond duo have gained a reputation for their improvisational and experimental performances. No stiff limbed scarecrows on stage, the band forces the audience to take an interactive part in the music by throwing out makeshift instruments, the clamor of which, influences the direction of the band’s improvisational pieces. The boundaries between the performer and the audience are further blurred as both musicians often walk among the crowd, playing along with, and conducting the makeshift orchestra."

Sunday night, the now elder statesmen of jam bands, Widespread Panic, play at the Landmark Theater. Show starts at 7 PM and tix are $36.50.

Sunday at the National is The B-52s. Show starts at 7 PM and tix are $40. They have a new album out, "Funplex", which has been getting pretty good reviews. I'll bet they'll play some of their classic party numbers like "Love Shack", "Planet Claire", "Private Idaho", "Legal Tender", "Wig" and "Rock Lobster". If you want to hear a recent show, they will do the Live Friday show on WXPN this Friday, April 25 at noon. Click here to listen: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89820897.

Wednesday, I'll be seeing the man, the myth, the legend, the Boss, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, at John Paul Jones Arena. Its sold out but if you check you may be lucky as they often release seats as it gets closer to the show date. Hope to see you at the show. I can't wait to get a Bruce fix. And Bruce, if you read this, please play "Kitty's Back". I've been waiting 20 years to hear it live.

If you can't make it to Bruce, you may want to check out Slightly Stoopid at Innsbrook. Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the gate. They play reggae rock ala Sublime and are playing a lot of the major music festivals this year.

Finally, one of the worst named rapper in history, Flo-Rida, will be at Toad's on Tuesday night at 7:30. Tickets are $25. I only mention this because he had a huge hit "Low" and to mention his horrible name. Soon he'll be touring with Nort Dakota and Ok Lahoma.

Oh and there is the James River Wine Festival and some chocolate festival also this weekend. Check out the Weekly Rant blog for info (see the blogs in the sidebar).

Have a great weekend!

Tony Jordan

1 comment: